Church of Theotokos Pammakaristos > Fethiye Camii
Dedicated to the 'All-Blessed Mother of God', this church is thought to date from the 12th century. In the early 14th century a parekklesion ( side chapel ) was built on to the south side of the church by the widow of Michael Glabas, a prominant general. The complex remained in Greek posession until 1591 when Sultan Murat III converted it into a mosque, naming it Fethiye Camii. It was at this time that the three apses of the original church were replaced by the projecting structure seen here on the right.
The chapel is now a museum, whilst the original church maintains its status as a mosque.
This view is of the south elevation of the parekklesion.
bvw photos ...
Encoding - Unicode UTF 8
Copyright © 2011-2018 Brian Williams - All Rights Reserved