Lanercost Priory, Cumberland *
bvw photos ...
Encoding - Unicode UTF 8
Lanercost was founded in about 1169 by Robert de Vaux for the Augustinians. Most of the remains seen here date from the 13th century, although earlier walling exists. In 1538 most of the roofs were removed as a result of the Dissolution of the monasteries by King Henry VIII. That of the priory nave was saved however as that part of the building was in use as the parish church, as it is to this day.
View from the south-east.
13 August 1983
* In 1974 Cumberland merged with the
adjacent county of Westmoreland to form Cumbria
Copyright © 2011-2018 Brian Williams - All Rights Reserved